How the magic happens
To help you understand how it all works, the following is a guideline of my collaborative process below and you’ll get a strategy-focused website.
PHASE 1: ONBOARDING
Every design project begins with a consultation and project proposal. Once you approve your proposal you will be sent a personalized design contract and invoice to pay your project retainer.
– Fill out a project inquiry through my project inquiry form on my website.
– I extend an invitation to consult with me – I offer a 30-minute, no-obligation consultation
– If it’s a match made from heaven and we both agree that we might enjoy working with each other, I take the next step of sending a proposal.
– If you accept your proposal, you will be sent a contract and invoice to pay your project retainer.
– I will send you a welcome pack with information about our work together (my office hours, how to communicate with me, what’s expected, etc).
PHASE 2: DISCOVERY
Projects vary based on scope, but here’s the simplified version of Discovery:
- Design strategy call
- Content strategy session and audit
- Industry research and brainstorming
– During the discovery phase, the new project is set up in my project management tool Asana
– I’ll get to learn about your business and brand style using a detailed questionnaire to fill out and return to me.
– A date is set to discuss design and site strategy using Acuity. The questionnaire is due 3 days before our strategy session.
– We’ll start collaborating on a secret Pinterest board and begin pinning inspiration (based on my guided instructions).
– Strategy session, we’ll talk about your business goals and how they impact what you are doing, my vision for the project, and any questions you have about the process or technology.
– During the strategy session, we also discuss the sitemap or structure of the site, so we can all get on the same page very quickly about what it is we’re trying to communicate and the best way to structure the information.
– Based on answers to specific questions on the questionnaire, I’ll create a wireframe of the homepage. This will help you start thinking about function first.
PHASE 3: DESIGN + DEVELOPMENT
Here’s the simplified version of the design phase:
- Visual design
- Homepage and key page mockups
- Enter and format content
- Website build
- Plugins and other integrations
- Client review
- User testing
You’ll be given an opportunity to look over the design and request any additional revisions.
– Using the information I learned about your business during the discovery phase, the fun begins during the design stage because we get to play with the crayons and colouring pencils to bring your interactive prototype to life to match your brand identity.
– I’ll create a design concept for each page of your website. You’ll get to review and approve the design of each page to make sure you’re getting a design you and your future website visitors will absolutely love.
– For the next stage of the design of the website, I’ll create 3-5 style tiles for you to review. These fairly quick interpretations of your vision and allow us to collaboratively eliminate the wrong direction and settle on a starting point for the homepage concept.
– I create a homepage concept that marries the approved wireframe and the approved style tile.
– Create interior page concepts or wireframes (depending on the project) of the remaining key page or layouts.
– I will send you the link to review your website once built, and get your feedback
– Finally, I go underground and make sure everything is plugged in and tested before deploying your shiny new website to your hosting server so you can show it off to the whole world.
PHASE 4: DELIVERY/LAUNCH
Wohooo, congrats! You made it to the launch and it’s time to celebrate! Your website is now complete. Here’s the simplified version of the delivery phase:
• Begin 2 week support phase
• Video training
• Create backup schedule
• Provide brand style guide and files
– Say bye to tech confusion – we’ll finish the project with training videos, so you can manage future updates on your own (if you wish to).
I’ll also send a user manual for WordPress
– I’ll send you an evaluation form so I can learn about your design experience and how I can improve in the future.
– Your website design purchase also includes 2 weeks of support if you run into any issues after launch.
Wohoo! It’s time to celebrate your launch!